What are the Benefits of having a Family Doctor?
- Your family doctor will have the best TOTAL relationship with you and your family, plus take care of ALL of you, not just selected parts of you. Your family doctor can answer your questions in a way that you trust.
- Family doctors keep track of family histories or genetic factors. This is useful for the early treatment and prevention of heart disease, cancers and other conditions.
- Family physicians conduct approximately 22% of ALL doctor office visits, that’s 192 million visits annually, 48% more than to the next most visited specialty (Internal Medicine).
- Family physicians deliver a range of acute, chronic, and preventive medical care services while providing patients with a patient-centered medical home.
- From heart disease, women’s health , dermatology and mental health, to diabetes, cancer, and asthma, family physicians provide ongoing, personal care for the nation’s most serious health problems.
- They provide preventive care, including routine checkups, health-risk assessments, immunization and screening tests, and personalized counseling on maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Family physicians also manage most chronic illnesses, and when needed will coordinate care provided by sub-specialists.